Thursday, December 8, 2011

Faith and Earthquakes

This year in Lorca, a Spanish town about 1 and ½ hours from where we live, there was a large earthquake. Several lives were lost. A team from FBC, Blue Springs, Mo. visited this town and one of the Baptist churches there to learn how we could help because the church was greatly damaged and 90 percent of church members were out of their homes at one time. It was amazing to witness the faith of these church members. They spoke of the damage to the church and their homes and reminded others that they had not lost their lives. One lady said, “no pasa nada.” This is a very common Spanish saying that is similar to our, “no problem.” We heard so many of them say that they knew that God would use this situation for good, and for his glory, and to reach others for Christ.

During the church service, the pastor preached about the faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when they responded with … “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from you hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” (Daniel 3:16-18)

“That is faith.”

The congregation sang the following song …

(rough translation to English)

“My heart trusts in you because I know you

And in the middle of the storm, I am never alone

I can see your silhouette in the middle of the mist

Your grace is sufficient for me even if the world trembles

Every day as I awake your mercy is with me and I can rest

You are the same every day

You teach me to trust in you and your word

My faith increases every morning,

Every day”

Please pray that God will continue to work through this difficult situation to bring people closer to him.

No comments: